Friday, June 29, 2012

Swiss Cheese Dip!

So, I was in the grocery store the other day.  Sometimes I shop that store as if it holds a single golden coin somewhere in the aisles of product.   I am obsessed with finding new things to try or to incorporate into a recipe.  I like new and exciting stuff, even if it is stuff I don't care to eat myself.

We are "picky" eaters.  I don't mean we are choosey about food, we call chips, dip, finger foods, "picky's".  My hubs is a chip and dip lovin' fool, and along with his love for all stinky feet cheese I knew it would be a hit.....

 
I was eyeballin' the specialty cheese case when I saw some cheese with a clearance sticker.  I was having a hard time getting to it as some managers were discussing rearranging right in the middle of the aisle. Why in billy heck they do this I have no idea.  It was annoying and each of the 3 times I tried to shoot for that piece of cheese I got, "Oh we are in the way aren't we?".  Hell yes you are, and you were in the way that last 2 times I tried as well.  Bleh.  Anyway, as I finally made my descent into the cheese case to grab that hunk of cheese a very nice woman named Fran asked me if I had ever tried the dip they make with that cheese at the holidays.  I told her I had not, and asked if she could give me the recipe.  She of course makes it with 5lb hunks of cheese so she sweetly gave me her approximated amounts for a small batch. I thanked her and went on my way, ready to make a delicious dip I would never even taste!

Now this being said, I feel like I prepared the dip wrong but I am going to share it anyway.  I feel like I should have put this entire mixture in my food processor.  My husband chimed in with, "maybe you should heat it and serve it hot".  Why do our husbands need to chime in?  HA!   In retrospect I would like to see this in the processor, but I imagine the taste is great either way, just maybe easier to get "all up on" a cracker if it was processed.

Admittedly I feel a little guilty, because this is so easy. I added to much onion for the hubs so now it is up to my sister to demolish the entire bowl.  I think it would be a nice touch to add green onion instead of chopped onion, for some color.  Here we go!

2 cups Jarlsberg Swiss Cheese
1/2 cup Hellman's (no miracle whip people)
1 tsp grated onion or 2 tsps minced onion
Pepper to taste

Shred cheese.  Add Hellman's and onion.  Mix thoroughly.  You can put this in your food processor and process until it is at your desired consistency or you can serve just as it is with crackers!


So here you go, easy, peasy, quick and cheesy!  I hope you enjoy it.  Might make a great 4th of July get together dip.  Something easy and different.  It will surely tempt the taste buds of everyone in your life who loves cheese that smells like......

Wishing you happy dipping!!  Let me know if you try it and put it in the processor or heat it!

Your "stinky feet and cheese loathing" chefwannabe
Chris

2 comments:

  1. The Kroger stores in our area of Indiana make this. It's delicious, isn't it! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same store I got the recipe at!! Ours are called Bakers but they are Kroger stores :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete